This intervention will target education and emotional support to family caregivers of hospice cancer patients for a shared decision making process in the hospice care plan meetings The intervention ACCESS will consist of three components:
- A Facebook group to provide the education and support;
- Web conferencing for family members into the hospice interdisciplinary care plan meeting
- A structured shared decision making process to guide the team discussion.
Participants will be randomly assigned to one of three groups, usual care, Facebook only, and Access. The specific aims are to:
- Evaluate the effect of access on family caregiver anxiety, pain knowledge and patient pain.
- Evaluate the effect of Facebook groups as educational emotional support for caregivers
- Assess staff and caregiver satisfaction with the shared decision making process.